~:: That Which Makes Us Tired ::~

In response to a blog recommended to me by my dear M: my comment.

It would appear that I can still write opinion. I may not be sitting down with images just now, or telling stories of family life, but I can still howl when trod upon. And why am I posting a comment on my blog and then on Facebook? Because I have always written to communicate, have always written for friends and family and kindred spirits. Because writing and reading sharing ideas is part of what has raised our species out of the muck.

And right now, I feel like the muck is pretty dang thick.  So I’m not actually recommending that you read EVERYTHING on the link that I’ve had shared on me, and now am sharing again, because there were lyrics here that repelled my eyes the way the wrong polar end of a magnet reacts. I got the point without reading them, thank you very much.  But the blog point is sharp and true.

You’ll force yourself to eat Kale – but we’ll take just about anything through our eyes and ears – like that kind of digestion doesn’t have just as much impact on our health and well-being. And the first comment? Very telling.

So, the link.  And so my comment:

That first comment was interesting. I’ve heard that kind of before, people trying to reason their way through their attraction to – I’m trying to come up with a term here – frippery could work, but it sounds so innocent. The destructive and seductive. Instead of the productive and beautiful (can’t come up with a light-filled rhyme there). I once accepted a literary award, and in my little speech to that audience of 500 plus folks, I talked about shoving darkness down the throats of students because, for some reason, we have decided that darkness is deeply meaningful, while light is just silly. This big guy, all dressed in black – another “children’s” author, came up to me and said, rather aggressively, “You said that darkness is a bad thing and we oughta not expose children to it. But what if a kid is *attracted* to darkness? They have a right to it, don’t they?”

I stared at him for a second – it was the end of the day, and I was finally packing up what books I had left over after the signing ordeal – and felt my face sort of squinch up – and I said, very frankly and honestly, “Well I don’t think THAT sounds real healthy.”

His face lost all its – umm, purpose, – and he said, in this amazingly little voice, “You don’t?”

Answer, nearly twenty years later: “I don’t.”

Stupid is probably the germinal word here. Like the people who signed the “Elect Karl Marx for 2016″ petition (YouTube). Like anybody who buys a bridge in Brooklyn, for whatever reason. Stupid was here on the earth, just waiting for us to show up – like a virus. Stupidity – good natured, angry, depressed, lecherous, well-meaning, euphoric – it comes in all flavors. It seems to be what we human beings are best at.

And yet, I don’t really believe that. I believe that we were meant for unimaginably great things. We just settle for so very little, so very often. Then again, I know people who don’t settle at all. I know people who have built great beauty out of just what they find around the house and heart and mind. And of them, I sing, Baby.  And on them, I pin my hope.

This entry was posted in IMENHO (Evidently not humble), Just talk, mad and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to ~:: That Which Makes Us Tired ::~

1. Baamekniits says:

I think we should all take a wholistic view on what we do with our selves and our families, I try hard to strike that balance. I don’t let my boys watch the music videos, I can’t believe what people think is ok to show our young men. All boys need to be taught to respect women so that REAL issues start to change. The media is not helping young girls with their self esteem and body image either…. Oh don’t get me started :-(

Absolutely, I agree on all points. Boys are shown everything, and girls learn a skewed view of what boys are, should be, and what THEY should be caring about. Lets grab a couple of our good friends and go to lunch with Rachel. We could go for a ride after – and wind ourselves rightly up.

• baamekniits says:

Oh that sounds like a perfect day! I will imagine it as I sit here at my computer catching up on bookwork today xx (I did actually get on my horse on Sunday for a short ride Woo Hoo!)

2. Murphy says:

Thanks for reading and replying!

I ended up deleting my status from Facebook, because, as you pointed out, even though I agree with the author, I didn’t want to be leading others to read and comprehend the ugly lyrics.

Many things that attract us do damage to us. Smoking calms the nerves, relaxes the mind, and destroys the lungs. Chocolate, (yes, chocolate) brings sensational pleasure, probably triggers a release of endorphins, and often comes packaged with poisonous high-fructose corn syrup. In answer to the arguments presented by others in defense of characters like Beyonce, I say: not all that glitters is gold. Just because a thing contains a grain of virtue, or truth doesn’t mean that we should trust it with our hearts and souls.

Our job is to glean the good from the world around us. If there is a positive lesson to be drawn from the music we have mentioned, it’s best to take only the message, and retreat back to a place of goodness. Not to make a bed in the muck because that’s where the pillow fell.

Dear America…and dear Canada too (and any number of countries, no doubt). I hear the lyrics of some songs, many songs, far too many songs, and feel despair. Someone will say that they like the song, and I ask, “Did you HEAR the lyrics?” Someone doesn’t think it’s about the lyrics, but the beat or something. And I am flabbergasted.

Specific to the article, I read some of the lyrics, despite your wise warning not to, and read the first comment. Among all of the other disturbing things, the whole drinking alcohol/sex link is galling – even for a wife who is “doing it in a powerful way where she is in complete control.” What? WHAT? There is no consent when there is intoxication. If a person’s blood alcohol level prevents them from legally driving a car, they CANNOT consent. And THIS is a role model?

Amen several times. We humans are so good at noticing the things that please us, hearing promises that we want to believe, editing out elements of food or songs or movies or whatever that we can’t actually REMOVE from the experience, but we don’t really want to admit are there – and thinking that the editing somehow neutralizes those things. The way we kid about how the calories don’t count if you eat something that – whatever. Whatever that silliness is people say. I shrug. You can’t look at a car that’s coming at you and think your denial of the fact will turn into a magic erasing of it. We get hit by cars. Two bike riders got killed in the valley just this morning by a truck that was where it wasn’t supposed to be. Whether the bikers wanted it that way, or believed it was happening, or believed it COULDN’T possibly happen to them – there was the truck, and they took the damage.

It doesn’t seem like a real great way to face life. That commenter made me laugh. So busily defending this Twinkie-level star of hers (empty calories, I mean); does she think that she, herself, means a hill of beans to Ms. Powerful? Or that what happens to her after she lets this woman influence her way of thinking about the world, this skewed view of reality, means anything to this woman? For sure her money and adulation means life to this woman. Which brings up a point – if everybody patterned themselves after someone like this, who’d be left with money to spend or adulation to give?

Role model. Evidently our magic President and his wife think so. Two less prepared people to lead a boy scout trip, I don’t think the party could have found. If I were getting on a bus, say for a school choir tour, and the company rep got on and said, “Hey – we need a driver; anybody want to step up?” And some kid from the back who is deserving because he’s – I don’t know, of some race or sexual orientation or struggling in school – taking drugs or whatever – and needs to have his chance to lead the world – is chosen as the driver? I think that’s when I get off that bus, and take my kid – and every kid I can persuade – off that bus.

Gah. None of that came out quite right. The whole thing just leaves me feeling sour.

It came out very well, actually. And me too. What’s going to happen to us, Wabi? We raise our children so carefully to be nobel and kind and honest and moral. What kind of a world are they going to have to face?

• wsw says:

The wonder of it is that the nobel and kind and honest and moral seem very successful at seeking out more of the same. And they find them. They find them. There is of course, the flip side, but do let me bury my mama-head in the proverbial sand for a little while. There is ever so much more to be seen in the light, and I want my children to SEE clearly.

Twinkie-level star. You say the greatest things.

You made me chuckle. You know, there is that scripture that says, “Unto the pure, all things are pure, and unto those who are defiled, all things are defiled.” It’s not exactly the same idea, but it works with it. There’s another scripture that notes that, in the last days, the people of God will gather together as Eagles are gathered to the carrion. Which is just a lovely image. Prophets can be so weird. What THAT means to me is that we will be attracted to the things that give us life, that feed us – that we will naturally come together over the things that we love. And here’s this, too – LDS people don’t believe in heaven and hell the way many folks do – you toe the line or you go toast in the fire. Instead, our understanding is this: that all people will stand before the judgement, but – okay. This is hard to explain. We believe that there will be three areas of glory in the life after this, kingdoms we call them, but that’s just a word. The one that is most dull, farthest from the glory of God is a place of dimmed light where people who killed their love, chose cruelty and selfishness, are easily entertained by stupid stuff, will dwell. Then there is the middle area where there is lovely light, and people who believe in goodness will be very happy. I think it will be full of music and color and people. The third one, which is filled with the light of God’s glory, is where families are sealed together forever, and where there are beauty and creation and music and imagination and joy going on all the time, but also a ton of work and responsibility (which is kind of a summing up of “makers”).

From the way I understand it, there is a judgement – but I think much of that is done by the person herself. Like – “Here are three doors – choose one,” and you’ll choose the light you love, and that you feel prepared to live forever with.

This, of course, is a fanciful picture of the idea, but it’s how I understand things will be. You choose to love by what you choose every day, and that’s the level of beauty and joy and love you will want for eternity. God will not have to “damn” anybody – we’ll do it ourselves by loving the lack of light, even the dead dark, instead of the glorious light of life and family and love. There is tragedy here. That so many would sell themselves so short. But we see it all the time. I want light. I don’t want to do anything to dim it = I still do mess up, but my face is UP, so maybe I’ll do okay. Your house is full of light.

I was being ironic about the eagle image. I’m reading it and I didn’t come off that way.

• wsw says:

I want light too. And possibly the messing up is part of it. So long as we can learn from the messing up. Follow the path that the messing up has, hopefully, highlighted. High*light*ed. And are cautious to avoid messing up in general. To choose otherwise, that is.

I caught the irony. And giggled at the “Prophets can be so weird.”

messing up = learning. Light loves learning, I think. In fact, I think that’s the whole point of living on the planet.

5. K says:

That’s better than I’ve done for almost two years. Dang it all.